Tuesday, February 05, 2008

New year - new recipe- join me!

Gabriel Tarchi, mercato San Lorenzo

Winter is here, but the weather has been to warm to prepare pork!
My friend with pigs have not yet slaughtered as it has to be colder to make prosciutto.


Global warming at it's worst!


Last year my neighbor, Signor Tinti,
lost all but one of his prosciutto's due to the heat.

No fridges here.


He hung his hams in the guest room, windows opened for fresh air.
But it was unusually warm and they got the MOSCA!

the guests in their "aging" room

When you prepare aged meats as it as been done for generations after generation,
but the weather changes, traditions will also have to adapt.
I hope that doesn't mean that all food will be exactly the same,
made under the exact same conditions.
The beauty of Italy has been it's artisans.
This year I am joining in with my fellow shoppers at the COOP grocery store
and following the book which was given out to customers,
am making a CAPOCOLLA.



This is a whole 5 pound piece of well marbled pork.



Follow me and keep your fingers crossed!


I bought ordered my meat several weeks ago
and picked up my capocolla February 3.

The instructions in the book on salting your own meat, which was given out by the shop,
gave very detailed instructions on preparing a ham, to be a prosciutto.


For the capocolla,
very simply stated,
massage the meat with salt,

as for prosciutto.


Let sit for 3 days, resalt.


After 12 days, rinse off salt, season, and tie and hang.


Ok, I needed a little more direction.


I went to my source at the Central Market, Gabriele Tarchi.

His dad was my January pin-up boy last year, holding a fresh ham.
For years he was worked with those who raise the animals his father sells,
but now that dad has retired Gabriele has taken over the stand.

HE KNOWS.

So following his guidance,
I tweeked the instructions.
Along with the salt, which I had added chili powder
to create a more southern version for the rub,
Gabriele suggested adding garlic paste.

Instead of just massaging in the salt, he suggested to create more of a crust, covering it more.

Also, to let it sit on a cutting board, tilted to let the blood flow off of the meat,
instead of sitting in the liquid.


I began on Sunday and will re-salt and Wednesday.
Wish me luck!

Never one to waste, when I trimmed the pork to even off the edges,
Here is what I made.


A riff on Dario Cecchini's Carne in Galera
a recipe where meat was cooked in vinegar
and herbs
to help maintain it while on long voyages.

I also think that vinegar takes away any bad flavors
old or wild game may have.



Pork in vinegar
serves 2

8 ounces pork ,cubed
6 shallots, peeled and halved
olive oil
1 cup or more red wine vinegar
rosemary
lots of sage
salt.


Brown the pork and the shallots in olive oil.
Season lightly with salt.
Add chopped rosemary and sage.

Add 1/2 cup of vinegar, cover and cook.

If needed while cooking add more vinegar.

When the meat is tender, adjust seasonings.
If too tart from vinegar, add some water.
I added more vinegar and more salt.

FAVOLOSO!

Before serving I had some left over roasted veggies I threw in.

cooking time, about 40 minutes



2 Comments:

Blogger david santos said...

Hello, Diva!
Thanks for your posting and have a good weekend

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Sophie said...

We would like to feature this pork in vinegar recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home