Thursday, January 12, 2006

Adopt a Pig

My friend Licia Granello,one of Italy's best food journalists,did a fabulous article on the "MAIALATA", which has a tongue in cheek meaning to it, as well as the Celebration of the Maiale( PIG).

In her article, she points out a fabulous new way in Italy to enjoy the best. Adopt a pig!
I am so there!
Raised in open fields, and feed only natural feed all you need now is your own Norcino, the specialized butcher for pigs.
When he comes, he will prepare your animal for prosciutto, salami's and leave the chops and roasts ready to cook! The Adopt a pig program sends you the pork already to cook or cure yourself in packets.
My neighbors have pigs, so I hope to participate in this years prosciutto making!

When I googled Adopt a pig in English.. they sites were all for pet pot-belly pigs, so we won't go there!

Here in Tuscany,the grapes are picked and the wine resting, olives have been crushed and the new oil already flavoring our winter meals with it's first deep green bite.

The farmers are back in the cold fields trimming the grape vines and deserve a warm rich meal.

What better time to enjoy Salame with a glass of wine.
Not all salami's are eaten dried, some of the regional salami's are cooked!


Most of us have seen the Cotecchino or the Zampone often served for New Year's with lentils.



One of my favorites is the Capello di prete (priest's hat), if you get a chance, go to Salumeria Giusti in Modena and reserve for lunch in he secret backroom! One of Italy's oldest Salumieria's, the tiny jewel of a restaurant has only 4 tables. The Salumeria itself is like Tiffany's each item presented like a precious family jewel!
You will thank me!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Podchef said...

Funny this post popping up halfway around the world. I just suggested this on my show as a way of getting people to support local agriculture in the Western US.

This may not be an option soon--the USDA is proposing a Draconian system of Animal Identification Tagging which will drive small farmers into the ground and make hobby farmers a thing of the past. The smallholder will not be able to afford the cost of tagging and monitoring his few animals.

My theory is by adopting a pig, or buying a "cow share" and supporting local producers, now more than ever, we can turn the tables and show the USDA what they should have always known--the small producer is the backbone of the country, providing balance against the corruption of the mega-meat growing corporations.

Meanwhile, I'm ordering chicks this week, and hacking out any place I can on my acre for a few piglets. . . .

4:47 PM  
Blogger Fahara said...

Thought you might like to know you CAN adopt a little piggie for the eating in England....look here!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Diva said...

Thanks for your insight!
I have been out of the states for over 20 years...
We do need to support local producers and farmers.
I don;t understand why in America, food should be cheap. People spend more money on junk and things.. instead of food!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Diva said...

Fahara, thanks for the great resource!
Love the pig map.. I was going to draw one for my Friday's with Fergus and mark off the parts I was using!

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting article. You can also adopt a rare breed pig for meat in the UK. The website is www.yorkshiremeats.co.uk - highly recommended!

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home